Friday, January 4, 2008

A moment for personal perspective

ShirtsWe were sitting around the big kitchen table of my friend's compound in Karen this morning, drinking coffee, listening to the radio, debating the news.



The Kiss FM morning host was becoming increasingly irrate about the situation in this country. Then, I heard Caroline Mutoko say, "Kenyans are killing Kenyans. There are fires in Nairobi, but houses in Karen are still standing."



True that.



Some of my friends are going a little stir crazy from being unable to get to their businesses, their farms, their homes. But we are safe and, if anything, over-fed in Karen.



I am infinitely greatful to my friends who have fed me, transported me, housed me and given me (essential) internet service over the past week. I know that we have priviledges that the vast majority of people in this country don't have on a good day, let alone in the midst of this growing domestic conflict.



I've been watching each of us respond to the situation here. People are gracious, tired, patient, joking, angry, frustrated and - more than anything - surprised by how this country that we all love has changed over the past week.



It struck me that the wardrobe choices we each made yesterday spoke volumes about how each of us were responding.



Ron wore his usual metrosexual European male attire, but threw on a work shirt before we left for Karen. He says people often mistake the Preesman logo for "Press Man." He thought it might help us get through barricades if we ran into any trouble.



I wore my Journalists for Human Rights shirt for similar reasons, though I'm not sure what credibility a t-shirt would give me in a country where most people are wearing second hand clothes.



Michiel stuck with his tongue-in-cheek cartoon violence wardrobe. But I couldn't help but wonder if the martyred angel he wore was a specific choice. "I am innocent. This conflict has nothing to do with me. Please leave me alone."



Wardrobes aside, our white skin and priviledge have so far kept us out of the way of any real danger. We have talked a little bit about how we will evacuate if need be. But all of us want to stay. Although we may disagree about how the government should respond to the conflict, what the international community should do, we are all committed to staying.



The flower guys will manage farms remotely. The web developer will keep working until there is no web access. The moms will keep taking care of their kids. And I will be here, frustrated by not being in the field, but blogging to the best of my ability.



Stay tuned.



Peace,



Sara



ve


1 comment:

  1. Keeping tuned to your blog, most importantly hope that you get out in one piece if need be, and that somehow normalcy is finally restored to this beautiful country. Take care.

    ReplyDelete