Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Beware Bush Meat

Well, I'm not overseas yet, but it's good to know that the state department's got my back. I got this e-mail this morning.



"The U.S. Embassy in Nairobi, Kenya would like to alert American citizens of dangers related to the purchase and consumption of bushmeat and of general contact with animals that could place humans at risk of infectious disease.  It is estimated that some 75% of emerging infectious diseases are animal-borne.  The encroachment of humans on animal habitat for new farms, lodging or eco-tourism is increasing the frequency of animal-to-human contact, and thus, the transmission of disease.  Several cases of disease transmission have been linked to exotic pets.  In this area of the world, the consumption of bushmeat now reaches 4 million tons.

"Due to recent developments in the availability of beef throughout  Kenya, there is an increased risk of unintentionally consuming bushmeat.  When the 2007 Rift Valley Fever outbreak here led the Government of Kenya to ban the slaughter or movement of livestock for a period of time, a
number of butcheries began selling illegal bushmeat as an alternative. The continued high demand for red meat has outstripped the supply of beef, providing yet another reason for a turn to the much cheaper bushmeat.  This month, the Kenya Wildlife Service intercepted a matatu bound for Nairobi Central Market with 450 pounds of gnu and zebra meat that was to have been sold as beef."



4 comments:

  1. Hey Darling, Hurts my heart I wasn't there to give big cheer at airport but I LOVED our time together and cherish your cherished belongings in my grateful care. I have you with me, body and soul..FLY beautiful one...
    xo D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sara,
    Dubai, baby! Hope you're having some fun. What a big ol' world. Thanks for getting out into it for us.
    Love your living-vicariously-through-her-traveling-friends friend,
    Lee
    p.s. Did you take ear plugs and an eye mask?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Sara, it took me a while to figure out how to respond. If you can email me and let me know how you are....would love to hear.
    Your accounts remind me of how aria

    ReplyDelete
  4. See? my computer illiteracy is showing!!! I'll complete the sentence...your accounts remind me of how courageous you are. So be well, Maria

    ReplyDelete