Friday, October 12, 2007

Living in the past

A friend has asked me to live for a week as though it were 1978 in Nairobi.



That means living on the quiet side of the great Digital Divide... no cell phone. No e-mail. No iPod. No Facebook. No Skype.



He says I have to hire someone to transcribe my writing for work or buy a typewriter. A typewriter!!



I am going to do one little cheat, though. I'm going to keep using my digital camera.



Because my one concern is you, dear blog reader. What will happen if I stop posting regularly? Will your over-taxed technology eyes get pulled away?



I'm hoping to tempt you back here with the possibility of contraband photos.



I am writing this post on Tuesday, and setting it up to go live later this week. I'll pre-compose another post for early next week, then I'm asking you to check back in the middle of next week to see how the experiment went.



I'll post my contraband and some thoughts.



But I'm thinking the task might not be as hard as it sounds. Most of the people in Nairobi are still living like people did 30 years ago (except everyone has a cell phone).



I'm thinking, when it's my friend's turn to live as though it were 1970s North America, he'll have a harder time adjusting.



And he'll be the one wearing bell-bottoms and a sparkly t-shirt.



No comments:

Post a Comment