Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Reflections of a different sort

An AWC colleague, Wilson Ugangu, arrived in Washington, D.C. this week for a three month internship with Consumer Union. I've asked him to share his reflections of the U.S. with us, as I share my observations of Kenya.



Here's the first installment, with my editor's notes presented [like this].



Hi Sara,

Greetings and hope you are well. My journey to Washington was peaceful. I got here late saturday
completely jet lagged, sleepy and hungry!! It was a hot day in Washington, quite a contrast to the chilly
Nairobi weather I had left behind.

My luggage got delayed in New York for some reason and only got to me 24 hours after arrival. My
hosts however have been really wonderful and got me a small lovely apartment on Pennyslvania Avenue, a number of blocks from the White House. Penn Avenue, by ordinary Washington standards is an up market zone. Apartments here are quite costly. It's however, quite beautiful, less crowded and clean.

It's thus a priviledge that I'm accomodated here for the next three months. Round the corner from my block is the prestigious George Washington University, with its vast campus and student population.

For the next three months I will work with staff at Consumer Union on congressional advocacy initiatives. During my first two days, I have already had opportunity to attend a series of meetings at Senate with CU staff. Its amazing  how ordinary citizens here easily get access to the high offices on the hill. We even had lunch at the Senate cafe! The Russel building, which houses the senate offices, is a huge imposing grey block.

I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Sen. Obama, but just not yet [Obama is very popular in Kenya, since his mother is Luo]. My hope is that I can do an interview with him if i can for the local media back home. Staff at CU work in the most casual way. Dress is non-official unless one is going for a meeting. We are required to be in suits when going to the hill.

I haven't yet made any friends other than staff at CU who are quite friendly. I hope also to venture into
town one of these days and discover a few interesting places.



All in all, initial impressions; Americans like it big. Big phones, big cars, big houses, big bodies, big
burgers, huge wide streets. Everything is big here!!

More next time.



Best,
Wilson   



2 comments:

  1. Is this part of your attempt to 'relinquish the personal narrative' in your work?
    Cool concept.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sara,
    Great idea! Like some weird global stereo-vision...
    --Deana

    ReplyDelete